Attainment of Year 12 or Certificate II or higher (YR12C2P)
This variable is used for national reporting purposes.
This variable indicates whether a person has attained Year 12 or equivalent or Certificate II or higher. This allows calculation of the proportion of the population that has attained the relevant qualifications, as used in the Closing the Gap Target 6 – Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students reach their full potential through further education pathways.
All persons aged 15 years and over
|1||Attained Year 12 or equivalent or Certificate II or higher|
|2||Has not attained Year 12 or equivalent or Certificate II or higher|
Number of categories: 4
Not applicable (@) comprises:
- Persons without Year 12 attainment whose Non-school qualification: level of education was Not stated or inadequately described
- Persons who did not state their highest year of school completed and who had not completed a Non-school qualification: level of education at Certificate II or higher
- Persons who did not state their highest year of school completed and whose Non-school qualification: level of education was Not stated or inadequately described
- Persons under 15 years of age
* Categories marked with an '*' are to be excluded from data extracted for national reporting purposes.
See Understanding supplementary codes for more information.
Question(s) from the Census form
What is the highest year of primary or secondary school the person has completed?
Has the person completed any educational qualification?
What is the level of the highest qualification the person has completed?
History and changes
This variable was first created in 2016. For 2021, 'Overseas visitors' have been separated out from the 'Not applicable' category into a separate category.
Data use considerations
This variable was created for National Reporting purposes. Any analyses using this variable that are for other purposes should be done with caution and with reference to the relevant inclusions and exclusions described above.
Categories marked with an '*' are to be excluded from data extracted for national reporting purposes.
This variable does not have a non-response rate as it is created during Census processing by using responses from more than one question on the Census form.
Report on Government Services (RoGS)
This variable can be used to provide data for indicators in the Report on Government Services (RoGS) Chapter B Child care, education and training sector overview:
- BA.10 People aged 20-24 years who have completed year 12 (or equivalent) or Certificate II level or above, by Indigenous status
National reporting indicators 2021