Safe researcher training
Registering your interest to attend DataLab training, and training resources
What is safe researcher training
DataLab safe researcher training must be undertaken before you can use the DataLab or be approved on a project:
- training enables new users to become approved DataLab researchers
- available as face-to-face training via ABS offices, in most capital cities
- also available as virtual training
- your shared responsibilities as a DataLab user
- meeting your legislative requirements
- appropriate output for ABS clearance and data release
The training does not include:
- using the system
- statistical capability training
- code or analytical language training
Before enrolling in training, check who can access the DataLab to make sure:
- you understand the pre-requisites for accessing DataLab
- you, your organisation and your project are eligible for DataLab access
Safe researcher training and DataLab access are only available to researchers located in Australia in Australian organisations. International researchers and organisations will be considered on a case by case basis.
Researchers need to undertake refresher training because:
- key operations, such as output checking procedures and rules, change over time
- people can become complacent about complying with appropriate behaviours in the DataLab
- it reinforces the need to refresh your skills and knowledge about implementing safe researcher practices
- it ensures you remain aware of your responsibilities and obligations when using the DataLab
The refresher training policy requires:
- all active users and discussants to complete the online Safe Researcher DataLab video modules every two years, or sooner if instructed to by the ABS
- if you are already working on active projects, you will be registered for online training but any new access applications can still be processed before you complete the refresher training
- if you are not already working on active projects or have moved organisations since previously completing training, you will be registered for online training and new accesses will not be approved until you have completed and passed the online training
How to register your interest
Training should be timely - only enrol when you have submitted your project proposal or have requested to join a project.
To register your interest, click on the email link at the top of this page.
If the button does not generate an email, use the template below to submit your request. We will acknowledge your email within 2-3 working days.
Subject: Register interest in DataLab safe researcher training
Dear DataLab Client Support team
I would like to enrol in an upcoming DataLab safe researcher training session.
Preference for face-to-face or virtual training:
Contact phone number/s (mobile):
DataLab project name and number:
Have you been added to the project proposal by the project lead?
Has the project lead submitted the updated project proposal to the ABS?
If the project has not commenced yet, what is the indicative start date:
Safe researcher training resources
The attached slides are presented during the DataLab Safe Researcher Training. We will also email the slides to you with other materials after you have completed training.
Part 1 - Working together to enable microdata access
Part 2 - Maintaining data confidentiality
Part 3 - Statistical disclosure control
\(\Huge 🗎\) DataLab safe researcher training Part 3.docx
You should also read Responsible use of ABS microdata user guide to understand your responsibilities as a safe researcher.