Data APIs enable fast access to ABS statistics by using machine to machine 'API calls'. These calls return statistics in a machine friendly format so that you can integrate data into your own systems as they are released.
We are currently preparing the next release of our ABS Data APIs. The update will be released the week of 20-24 September 2021. ABS Data APIs will be unavailable from September 20-22, there may be reductions in service or data available through to September 24.
The release includes a variety of fixes and improvements to the API. Including;
- Faster release of data in APIs - data will be available in ABS data APIs soon after it is published to the ABS website
- Full compliance with the SDMX 2.1 information model
- More format options - data is available in XML, JSON and CSV and metadata available in XML and JSON
- A new WCAG 2.0 compliant user interface called the Data Explorer
We are most excited about is the Data Explorer, a user interface which allows you to search for and browse datasets, filter and view data and generate APIs calls based on your selection.
The inclusion of the Data Explorer makes this release of the ABS Data APIs a suitable replacement of ABS.Stat beta (http://stat.data.abs.gov.au). ABS.Stat beta is scheduled to be decommissioned at the end of 2021. If you currently have a reliance on the legacy ABS.Stat beta APIs, please start transitioning to the new APIs. ABS Data API documentation has detailed information and worked examples. If you need additional assistance transitioning to the new APIs, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note the following system limitations:
- In the short term the release of new data through ABS Data APIs and Data Explorer will still be delayed after the data is available through the ABS Website.
- A few datasets from the old ABS.Stat beta system have not yet been released in the ABS Data APIs. These datasets are Labour Force, International Trade in Goods and Services and International Investment Position. We are working to make this data available as soon as possible.
To register your details to receive notifications on the ABS.Stat upgrade, please get in contact with us at email@example.com. For more information, to raise questions, provide feedback and share your knowledge, please visit our Community of Practice.