Data APIs enable fast access to ABS statistics by using machine to machine 'API calls'. These calls return statistics in a machine friendly format so that you can integrate data into your own systems as they are released.
We deployed the next release of our ABS Data APIs on 27 September 2021.
The release includes a variety of fixes and improvements to the API. Including;
- A new WCAG 2.0 compliant user interface called the Data Explorer - https://www.abs.gov.au/about/data-services/explore/data-explorer
- Faster release of data in APIs - data will be available in ABS data APIs soon after it is published to the ABS website
- Full compliance with the SDMX 2.1 information model
- More format options - data is available in XML, JSON and CSV and metadata available in XML and JSON
Data Explorer and ABS Data API (https://www.abs.gov.au/about/data-services/data-explorer) has been launched. This replaces ABS.Stat (Beta) which is now scheduled to be decommissioned. Access to ABS.Stat Beta will be withdrawn on 10 December 2021.
The inclusion of the Data Explorer makes this release of the ABS Data APIs a suitable replacement of ABS.Stat beta (https://stat.data.abs.gov.au). If you currently use the ABS.Stat (Beta) system, please start transitioning to the new Data Explorer (https://explore.data.abs.gov.au/). ABS Data API documentation has detailed information and worked examples. If you need additional assistance transitioning to the new APIs, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note the following system limitations:
- In the short term the release of new data through ABS Data APIs and Data Explorer will still be delayed after the data is available through the ABS Website.
- A few datasets from the old ABS.Stat beta system have not yet been released in the ABS Data APIs. These datasets are Labour Force, International Trade in Goods and Services and International Investment Position. We are working to make this data available as soon as possible.
To register your details to receive notifications on the ABS.Stat upgrade, please get in contact with us at email@example.com. For more information, to raise questions, provide feedback and share your knowledge, please visit our Community of Practice.