712 Stationary Plant Operators
Stationary Plant Operators operate stationary plant to perform a range of activities such as extracting minerals from the earth; refining and treating metals and mineral ore, and producing basic metal products; lifting, moving and placing materials and equipment; and loading and stacking bulk materials.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this minor group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
- AQF Certificate II or III, or at least one year of relevant experience (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
In New Zealand:
- NZQF Level 4 qualification, or at least three years of relevant experience (ANZSCO Skill Level 3); or
- NZQF Level 2 or 3 qualification, or at least one year of relevant experience (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- fixing attachments to plant and setting controls prior to operation
- manipulating controls to move materials between process phases
- observing operation and adjusting controls to regulate temperature, pressure, mix of materials to be processed and handled, and speed of operation
- monitoring operation of plant directly or by referring to instruments ensuring safe operation
- cleaning and lubricating plant, repairing minor defects and reporting major problems
- unloading and storing output