711 Machine Operators
Machine Operators operate stationary machines to process, manufacture, treat and finish a range of products.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this minor group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
- AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV or at least three years of relevant experience (ANZSCO Skill Level 3); or
- AQF Certificate II or III, or at least one year of relevant experience (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
In New Zealand:
- NZQF Level 4 qualification, or at least three years of relevant experience (ANZSCO Skill Level 3); or
- NZQF Level 2 or 3 qualification, or at least one year of relevant experience (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
At least one year of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- fixing attachments to machines, setting controls and loading material to be processed
- starting machines, observing operation and adjusting controls to regulate temperature, pressure, intake of raw materials and speed
- sampling output for defects and variations, and adjusting machine settings accordingly
- unloading and storing output
- cleaning and lubricating machines and performing minor repairs