5612 Couriers and Postal Deliverers
Couriers and Postal Deliverers deliver small items such as documents, messages, mail and parcels.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications outlined below.
- AQF Certificate I, or compulsory secondary education (ANZSCO Skill Level 5)
In New Zealand:
- NZQF Level 1 qualification, or compulsory secondary education (ANZSCO Skill Level 5)
For some occupations a short period of on-the-job training may be required in addition to or instead of the formal qualification. In some instances no formal qualification or on-the-job training may be required.
- sorting and sequencing items for delivery
- delivering mail, parcels, documents and other items to customers' premises and mailboxes
- receiving orders for deliveries from customers
- collecting signatures and charges for cash-on-delivery orders
- issuing and collecting receipts for pick-up and delivery items
- keeping records of items received and delivered
- maintaining walk books, directories, mail counts, equipment maintenance logs and other delivery records
- loading and unloading mail conveyances and internal mail handling equipment
- assisting with receipting inward mail, checking wrongly addressed, missorted, undelivered and redirected mail, and processing freepost and underpaid mail
- 561211 Courier
- 561212 Postal Delivery Officer
Delivers goods, documents, messages, samples, x-rays and test results.
Skill Level: 5
- Bicycle Courier
- Motorbike Courier
- Parcel Contractor
- Rural Mail Contractor
561212 Postal Delivery Officer
Delivers mail on foot, by bicycle or by motorised transport over allocated delivery rounds.
Skill Level: 5