234 Natural and Physical Science Professionals
Natural and Physical Science Professionals perform analytical, conceptual and practical tasks in relation to environmental factors and agricultural production, the chemical and physical properties of the universe, the extraction and processing of mineral ores, life forms including the physiology and biochemistry of humans, plants and animals, and disease prevention.
Indicative Skill Level:
In Australia and New Zealand:
Most occupations in this minor group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- advising farmers on techniques for improving crop and livestock production
- conducting experiments and tests to identify the chemical composition and reactive properties of natural substances and processed materials
- developing conservation and management policies for biological resources, such as fish populations and forests, and establishing standards and developing approaches for the control of pollution and the rehabilitation of areas disturbed by activities such as mining, timber felling and overgrazing
- conducting studies of minerals and the nature and formation of the earth's crust, and carrying out mineral exploration
- studying the forms and structures of organs and tissues of the body by systematic observation, dissection and microscopic examination
- investigating the effects of environmental factors, such as rainfall, temperature, sunlight, soil, topography and disease, on plant and animal growth
- analysing samples of body tissue and fluids to develop techniques to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases
- treating animals medically and surgically, and administering and prescribing drugs, analgesics, and general and local anaesthetics for animals
- conducting experiments to discover and develop industrial, medical and other practical applications of physics
- studying and applying chemical and metallurgical techniques for extracting and refining metallic materials from their ores and concentrates