2346 Medical Scientists
Medical Scientists conduct medical tests to assist in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of diseases and health conditions.
Indicative Skill Level:
In Australia and New Zealand:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- preparing tissue sections for microscopic examination
- examining and analysing samples to study the effects of microbial infections
- developing techniques to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of disease and respiratory or sleep disorders
- advising Medical Practitioners on the interpretation of tests and methods used in diagnosis and treatment
- setting up the steps and rules of medical testing
- operating and maintaining laboratory and testing equipment
- maintaining laboratory and testing quality assurance and safety standards
- preparing scientific papers and reports
- 234611 Medical Laboratory Scientist
- 234612 Respiratory Scientist
234611 Medical Laboratory Scientist
- Hospital Scientist
- Medical Scientific Officer
Conducts medical laboratory tests to assist in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease. Registration or licensing is required.
Skill Level: 1
- IVF Embryologist
234612 Respiratory Scientist
Conducts lung function tests to support the diagnosis and treatment of respiratory and sleep disorders, in consultation with other medical professionals.
Skill Level: 1