8216 Railway Track Workers
Railway Track Workers lay and repair tracks for railways, tramways, quarries and mines, and install and repair signals and other equipment.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
- AQF Certificate II or III (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
In New Zealand:
- NZQF Level 2 or 3 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
At least one year of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- spreading and tamping ballast to provide firm foundation for sleepers
- cutting rails to length and grinding worn and rough rail ends
- placing sleepers across roadbeds, and positioning and fastening rails on sleepers
- drilling bolt holes, and bolting and welding rail sections
- removing and replacing worn and damaged rails, sleepers and switches
- cleaning and lubricating switches
- examining track, lubricating wheel bearings on rolling stock and maintaining switch signal lamps
- installing and repairing signals and other equipment
- may assist with the righting of derailed rolling stock
- 821611 Railway Track Worker
821611 Railway Track Worker
Lays and repairs tracks for railways, tramways, quarries and mines, and installs and repairs signals and other equipment.
Skill Level: 4
- Track Inspector