4116 Massage Therapists
Massage Therapists perform therapeutic massage and administer body treatments for health, fitness and remedial purposes.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
- AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
In New Zealand:
- NZQF Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- massaging the soft tissues of the body, such as muscles, tendons and ligaments, to assist healing
- utilising a range of massage techniques to enhance sports performance and prevent injury
- administering treatments to promote relaxation, improve circulation and relieve muscle tension
- assessing and treating specific soft tissue dysfunction and providing rehabilitation advice
- employing other techniques, such as acupressure or Shiatsu, and complementary aids, such as infra-red lamps, wet compresses, ice, essential oils and herbal and mineral therapies, to assist recovery
- assessing client's physical condition and case history and advising on stretching exercises and relaxation techniques
- 411611 Massage Therapist
411611 Massage Therapist
Performs therapeutic massage and administers body treatments for relaxation, health, fitness and remedial purposes.
Skill Level: 2
- Chinese (Tui-Na) Masseur
- Remedial Masseur
- Shiatsu Therapist
- Sports Medicine Masseur
- Thai Masseur