241 School Teachers
School Teachers educate students in early childhood (pre-primary), primary, middle or intermediate, secondary and special institutions by teaching a range of subjects within a prescribed curriculum, and promote students' social, emotional, intellectual and physical development.
Indicative Skill Level:
In Australia and New Zealand:
Most occupations in this minor group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- selecting, preparing and presenting courses, teaching materials and lessons suited to the abilities of the students
- correcting and assessing students' work
- attending to the social, emotional, intellectual and physical wellbeing of students and maintaining acceptable standards of behaviour
- assessing the abilities and level of achievement of students through direct observation and administering tests
- discussing individual progress and problems with other professionals, parents and students
- performing extra-curricular tasks such as assisting with sport, school concerts, excursions and special interest programs
- supervising student teachers on placement
- maintaining attendance and scholastic records, and school discipline