Requesting ABS data under the Data Availability and Transparency Act (DATA) Scheme
Learn about the DATA Scheme and how to request ABS data under the scheme.
About the DATA Scheme
The Data Availability and Transparency Act 2022 establishes an alternative scheme for sharing Australian Government data – the DATA Scheme. The DATA Scheme is underpinned by strong safeguards and consistent, efficient processes.
The DATA Scheme is focused on increasing the availability and use of Australian Government data by Accredited Users for 3 permitted purposes:
- Delivery of government services
- Informing government policies and programs
- Research and development.
Further information can be found on the Office of the National Data Commissioner (ONDC) website.
ABS data already available for access
When we receive a request, we will let you know if the data is already available through an existing ABS option or product.
We hold a vast array of data that can be accessed through existing data products. The options available for you to access this data include:
- navigate statistics on the ABS website to a range of topics containing downloadable data
- use our suite of products from the Census of Population and Housing (2021 and prior)
- access Data Explorer and Data by Region
- use TableBuilder to create your own tables and graphs
- analyse unit record data in the DataLab
- apply for access to integrated data
- request customised data specific for your needs.
When we will consider sharing ABS data under the DATA Scheme
If there is no existing option or product, we will consider if the DATA Scheme applies.
We will consider sharing with Accredited Users and Accredited Data Service Providers if:
- ABS can legally share the data
- the proposed project is for a permitted purpose
- the sharing is consistent with our purpose and role
- the sharing is consistent with the commitments we give to our respondents and providers.
Where we hold data from other data custodians we will only share the data with their approval.
How to make a DATA Scheme request
If you are an Accredited User and you are requesting data under the DATA Scheme, you can make the request through Dataplace.
We may contact you to discuss your request or redirect you to an option under ABS’ legislative framework.
If we decide not to share under the DATA Scheme, we will provide you with written notice of our reasons for not sharing within 28 days of the decision.
We reserve the right to charge fees on a cost recovery basis for sharing data under the DATA Scheme. This may include fees for services we perform, or which are performed on our behalf, including the services of an accredited data service provider in sharing the data with you.
Once the service is clarified, we will provide you with a quote for the costs.