Non ABS Structures
Non ABS Structures generally represent administrative regions which are not defined or maintained by the ABS, but for which the ABS is committed to directly providing a range of statistics.
- Local Government Areas are an ABS Mesh Block representation of gazetted Local Government boundaries as defined by each state and territory.
- State Electoral Divisions are an ABS Mesh Block approximation of state electoral districts.
- Commonwealth Electoral Divisions are an ABS Mesh Block approximation of the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) federal electoral division boundaries.
- Postal Areas are an ABS Mesh Block approximation of a general definition of postcodes.
- Tourism Regions are an ABS SA2 approximation of tourism regions as provided by Tourism Research Australia.
- Australian Drainage Divisions are an ABS Mesh Block approximation of drainage divisions as provided through Australian Hydrological Geospatial Fabric.
- Suburbs and Localities (formerly State Suburbs) are an ABS Mesh Block approximation of gazetted localities.
- Destination Zones are co-designed with state and territory transport authorities for the analysis of Place of Work Census of Population and Housing data, commuting patterns and the development of transport policy.
The Australian Statistical Geography Standard (ASGS) Edition 3 Non ABS Structures will be released in September 2021.
The most current version of the Non ABS Structures is from ASGS 2016 - 1270.0.55.003 - Australian Statistical Geography Standard (ASGS): Volume 3 - Non ABS Structures, June 2020.
Please note that Local Government Areas are updated on an annual basis. Commonwealth Electoral Divisions and State Electoral Divisions are also updated on an annual basis, but only where redistributions have occurred. The remainder of the Non ABS Structures are updated every 5 years.