- Total income for Subscription broadcasters and channel providers ($5,352.1m), including subscription video-on-demand (SVOD), exceeded that of Commercial free-to-air broadcasters ($3961.4m) in 2015-16.
- Total production costs for film, television and videos were $3,436.1m in 2015-16, an increase of 15.5% compared to 2011-12. This increase was driven by Broadcasters and channel providers who saw growth of 44.9% as they completed greater numbers of productions and broadcast hours.
- Film and video production businesses recorded slight increases in all key data items from 2011-12. The increase in total income of 4.9% was driven by increased feature film production income and by income from production services provided to other businesses such as broadcasters.
- Film and video post-production businesses reported operating profit before tax (OPBT) of $48.1m in 2015-16, driven by a 20.9% increase in total income from 2011-12. These businesses provide services such as animation, visual effects and sound editing, from which 37.5% of income was sourced from overseas businesses in 2015-16.
- Digital game developers have reported total income of $111.1m in 2015-16, despite a fall in the number of digital game productions from 245 to 178 since 2011-12. Digital game developers are producing more sophisticated mobile and web platform games with the average cost for this production type rising from $74,000 in 2011-12 to $337,500 in 2015-16.
More detailed estimates are included in the data cube tables accompanying this publication on the Data downloads section. Please note that all financial estimates are expressed in current prices.
Regarding comparability of this data with the previous issue from 2011-12, please refer to Methodology - Explanatory notes - paragraphs 42-44.
Summary of operations
|Film and video production businesses|
|Businesses at end June (a)||no.||2 412||2 819|
|Employment at end June (b)||no.||13 414||14 638|
|Total income||$m||2 194.2||2 302.5|
|Total expenses||$m||2 012.0||2 120.8|
|Operating profit before tax (c)||$m||^180.9||^198.5|
|Operating profit margin (c)||%||^8.2||^8.8|
|Industry value added (c)||$m||929.9||996.3|
|Film and video post-production businesses|
|Businesses at end June (a)||no.||361||414|
|Employment at end June (b)||no.||2 346||2 462|
|Operating profit before tax (c)||$m||**-2.9||48.1|
|Operating profit margin (c)||%||**-0.9||12.2|
|Industry value added (c)||$m||180.8||268.3|
|Commercial free-to-air broadcasters|
|Businesses at end June (a)||no.||24||14|
|Employment at end June (b)||no.||7 856||8 012|
|Total income||$m||4 657.9||3 961.4|
|Total expenses||$m||3 660.4||3 559.0|
|Operating profit before tax (c)||$m||996.9||420.4|
|Operating profit margin (c)||%||21.5||10.6|
|Industry value added (c)||$m||2 232.9||1 795.6|
|Subscription broadcasters and channel providers|
|Businesses at end June (a)||no.||36||32|
|Employment at end June (b)||no.||5 474||5 416|
|Total income||$m||4 654.3||5 352.1|
|Total expenses||$m||4 157.4||4 959.8|
|Operating profit before tax (c)||$m||515.1||493.0|
|Operating profit margin (c)||%||11.5||9.2|
|Industry value added (c)||$m||1 568.3||2 205.2|
|Digital game developers|
|Businesses at end June (a)||no.||84||80|
|Employment at end June (b)||no.||581||734|
|Operating profit before tax (c)||$m||9.3||24.5|
|Operating profit margin (c)||%||10.5||22.0|
|Industry value added (c)||$m||71.6||93.8|
** estimate has a relative standard error of greater than 50% and is considered too unreliable for general use
a. See the Scope and Statistical units sections of the Methodology for details of the model used to represent these businesses.
b. Includes working proprietors and partners of unincorporated businesses.
c. See Technical Note in Methodology on Data Quality, paragraph 6.