Beware of scams
Scammers often pretend to be from trusted government organisations like the ABS. You can verify the legitimacy of a survey or ABS caller by contacting the ABS on its official contact number 1300 135 070 or by using our contact form.
For information about scams or false information related to the 2021 Census please visit: www.census.abs.gov.au/about/get-the-Census-facts
The ABS and SCAMwatch
are warning residents of scam reports regarding household and business surveys. Scammers have been reported contacting people over the phone and asking for personal information on behalf of the ABS, including the Census. The scam includes providing an official ABS contact number to make the call seem more legitimate.
Protect yourself from scammers:
What we will do:
- In most cases we will make initial contact with your household in writing to advise that you have been identified for survey participation. For Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander surveys, first contact will be made through an ABS officer.
- For personal visits, an ABS officer with official identification will always identify themselves and explain clearly what the information is being sought for and how that information will be used.
What we will never do:
- We will never ask you to provide, or confirm, your bank details or tax file number.
- We will never email you to say you have won a prize such as an iPhone for participating in an ABS household survey.
What to do if you are unsure:
- If you receive an email claiming to be from the ABS but it looks suspicious, please delete it and don’t click on any links or respond to the email.
- If you receive a call from someone claiming to represent the ABS and are concerned about providing personal information over the phone, you should ask for the caller's name, end the call and then verify the caller by phoning the ABS' official contact number 1300 135 070.
- If you receive a suspicious direct message or request on social media from someone claiming to be from the Australian Bureau of Statistics, please get in touch via our social media channels or contact us via our website.