The ABS Address Register is an up-to-date, comprehensive list of all known physical addresses within Australia.
The key information it contains is:
- address text
- address use (e.g. residential, commercial, etc.)
- a latitude and longitude coordinate known as a “geocode”
- dwelling structure for residential addresses (e.g. separate house, semi-detached, etc.).
The Register does not collect or store any information about people or households.
It is a key piece of statistical infrastructure that supports:
- mail out of Census of Population and Housing (Census) and Household survey materials
- more effective sample selection methods for household surveys
- more efficient field operations
- additional internal data quality assurance
- linking of datasets
- enhanced address matching through the creation of indexes
- finer geospatial analysis at the unit/address level.