- there were 3,893,834 students enrolled in 9,477 schools
- 65.7% of students were enrolled in government schools, 19.7% in catholic schools and 14.6% in independent schools
- teachers made up 69.5% of in-school full-time equivalent staff
- the grade 7 to 12 Apparent Retention Rate for Australia was 84.5%, and
- the student to teaching staff ratio for all schools and affiliations was 13.5.
Total enrolments have continued to increase in the five years to 2018, with 75.9% of the of the growth occurring in government schools. Table 1 shows these five years of enrolments by the affiliation of the school.