From 30 June 2018 to 30 June 2019:
- The number of adult prisoners increased by less than one per cent to 43,028.
- The national imprisonment rate was 219 persons per 100,000 adult population, a decrease of 1 per cent.
- Unsentenced prisoners increased by 3% to 14,210. Victoria had the largest numerical change in unsentenced prisoners, increasing 10% (or 266 prisoners).
- Sentenced prisoners decreased by 1% to 28,721 prisoners
- Female prisoners decreased 4% (131 prisoners) to 3,494 prisoners, while male prisoners increased by less than one per cent (195 prisoners). Males continue to comprise the majority of the Australian prisoner population (92% of total prisoners).