Crime and justice
Personal Safety, Australia
- Two in five Australian adults had experienced violence since age of 15.
- One in six women and one in seventeen men experienced partner violence.
- One in two women and one in four men had experienced sexual harassment.
- One in six women and one in ten men experienced abuse before age of 15.
Crime Victimisation, Australia
In the last 12 months:
- 467,800 persons (2.3%) experienced physical assault
- 492,900 persons (2.4%) experienced face-to-face threatened assault
- 238,100 households (2.4%) experienced a break-in
- 448,800 households (4.6%) experienced malicious property damage
2019-20 financial year
Corrective Services, Australia
- There were 41,002 prisoners in Australia, the lowest since the March quarter 2017.
- The national imprisonment rate and the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander imprisonment rate decreased by 2% for the quarter.
- 78,401 persons were serving community-based corrections (CBC) orders, the lowest since the March quarter 2019.
- Prisoner receptions increased by 9% for the quarter up to 15,919.
September Quarter 2020
Recorded Crime - Victims, Australia
- About one in three homicide offences (30%) and sexual assaults (33%) were family and domestic violence related
- Victims of robbery increased for the fourth consecutive year to 11,775 victims
- There were 58,021 victims of motor vehicle theft in 2019, the highest number recorded in seven years
Criminal Courts, Australia
- There were 576,101 defendants finalised in Australian criminal courts.
- Traffic and vehicle regulatory offences remained the most common principal offence, comprising 34% of defendants.
- Fines remained the most common sentence type for guilty defendants (55%, 271,517).
2018-19 financial year
Partner Violence - In Focus: Crime and Justice Statistics
- The 2016 PSS found financial stress, unemployment, the presence of a disability or a long-term health condition, poor or fair health, and low levels of life satisfaction were associated with women's experience of partner violence.