|Mar Qtr 2019 ($m)||Jun Qtr 2019 ($m)|
|Total managed funds industry||3,573,531||3,680,620|
|Consolidated assets total managed funds institutions||2,896,357||2,999,986|
|Cross invested assets between managed funds institutions||567,339||530,875|
|Unconsolidated assets total managed funds institutions||3,463,697||3,530,861|
|Life insurance corporations||238,414||n.p.|
|Superannuation (pension) funds||2,787,988||2,888,244|
|Public offer (retail) unit trusts||378,527||380,964|
|All other managed funds institutions||58,768||n.p.|
n.p.: not available for publication but included in totals where applicable, unless otherwise indicated
June key points
Total managed funds industry
- At 30 June 2019, the managed funds industry had $3,680.6b funds under management, an increase of $107.1b (3.0%) on the March quarter 2019 figure of $3,573.5b
- The main valuation effects that occurred during the June quarter 2019 were as follows: the S&P/ASX 200 increased 7.1%; the price of foreign shares, as represented by the MSCI World Index excluding Australia, increased 3.3%; and the A$ depreciated 1.0% against the US$.
Consolidated assets of managed funds institutions
- At 30 June 2019, the consolidated assets of managed funds institutions were $3,000.0b, an increase of $103.6b (3.6%) on the March quarter 2019 figure of $2,896.4b.
- The asset types that increased were units in trusts, $33.6b (4.3%); overseas assets, $33.0b (6.2%); shares, $30.9b (6.1%); bonds, etc., $7.2b (6.9%); deposits, $6.5b (2.5%); other financial assets, $4.1b (1.7%). These were partially offset by decreases in derivatives, $5.4b (13.8%); short term securities, $2.6b (3.0%); other non-financial assets, $2.0b (19.4%); loans and placements, $1.4b (3.2%); land, buildings and equipment, $0.2b (0.1%).
Cross invested assets
- At 30 June 2019, there were $530.9b of assets cross invested between managed funds institutions.
- At 30 June 2019, the unconsolidated assets of superannuation (pension) funds increased $100.3b (3.6%), public offer (retail) unit trusts increased $2.4b (0.6%), friendly societies increased $0.3b (3.9%). Cash management trusts decreased $0.8b (2.1%).
- Table 3 Life insurance corporations - revised back to the March quarter 2019.
- Table 4 Superannuation (pension) funds - revised back to the September quarter 2016.
- Table 5 Public offer (retail) unit trusts - revised back to the September quarter 2005.
- Table 6 Friendly Societies - no revisions.
- Table 7 Common funds - no revisions.
- Table 8 Cash management trusts - revised back to the September quarter 2009.
- Table 9 Resident Investment Managers - revised back to the September quarter 2016.