Midwives provide care and advice to women during pregnancy, labour and childbirth, and postnatal care for women and babies in a range of settings such as the home, community, hospitals, clinics and health units.
Indicative Skill Level:
In Australia and New Zealand:
Occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Registration or licensing is required.
- providing advice and support during pre-conception, intrapartum, antenatal and postnatal periods in partnership with women
- providing care and management of pregnancy and birth
- assessing progress and recognising warning signs of abnormal and potentially abnormal pregnancies requiring referral to an Obstetrician
- monitoring the condition of women and foetuses during pregnancy and throughout labour
- conducting health education classes and seminars to promote the health of mothers and babies such as reproductive health, antenatal education, preparation for parenthood and breastfeeding
- providing advice on nutrition, childcare and family planning
- 254111 Midwife
- Certified Midwife
- Registered Midwife
Provides care and advice to women during pregnancy, labour and childbirth, and postnatal care for women and babies in a range of settings such as the home, community, hospitals, clinics and health units. Registration or licensing is required.
Skill Level: 1
- Community Midwife
- Midwife Practitioner