Police protect and preserve property, public order and safety through the enforcement of laws.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
- AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
In New Zealand:
- NZQF Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- investigating and prosecuting offences committed in areas such as organised, corporate and computer crime, environmental offences, drug trafficking, fraud, counterfeiting and terrorism
- securing and examining scenes of crimes and accidents to locate and obtain evidence for analysis
- protecting witnesses and investigating official corruption
- maintaining public order and safety
- patrolling assigned areas to minimise potential for public disturbance and crime
- investigating accidents, crimes, minor offences and citizens' complaints, gathering evidence, and pursuing, arresting and interviewing suspected offenders
- testing persons suspected of driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs and issuing infringement notices for traffic offences
- directing and re-routing traffic at congested areas
- attending community meetings and answering inquiries from the public where necessary
- providing advice and assistance to victims of crime and their families
- maintaining records and preparing reports
- 441311 Detective
- 441312 Police Officer
Investigates serious crimes, such as terrorism, homicide, armed robbery, vice and arson, and gathers evidence to arrest and prosecute suspected offenders.
Skill Level: 2
- Detective Sergeant
- Plain Clothes Police Officer
441312 Police Officer
Maintains public order, and enforces laws by investigating crimes, patrolling public areas and arresting suspected offenders.
Skill Level: 2
- Bomb Squad Officer
- Mounted Police Officer
- Search and Rescue Officer
- Tactical Response Group Officer