3234 Toolmakers and Engineering Patternmakers
Toolmakers and Engineering Patternmakers make and repair tools, dies, jigs, fixtures and other precision parts and equipment to fine tolerances for machine tools and other production machinery, and construct full-size engineering, visual and experimental models and models for the manufacture of prototype developmental products.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
- AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand:
- NZQF Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- studying drawings and specifications to determine dimensions and tolerances of articles to be manufactured and models to be constructed
- measuring and marking out metal stock and castings using various gauges
- shaping metal and wood stock using machine tools
- checking accuracy of manufactured articles and finished patterns to fine tolerances, using precision measuring instruments
- testing and modifying manufactured articles
- applying protective finishes to patterns and painting pattern sections to indicate method of assembly
- assembling pattern sections and shaping work pieces to specified finish
- pouring and spreading materials into moulds and over models of patterns, and building laminations of fibreglass cloth and plastic resin to fabricate patterns
- repairing broken and damaged patterns and correcting patterns to compensate for defects in casting
- constructing templates for layout and inspection
- 323411 Engineering Patternmaker
- 323412 Toolmaker
323411 Engineering Patternmaker
Constructs full-size engineering models usually made out of timber, which are used in manufacturing to produce metal castings, copy models, vacuum form tooling and tooling for the automotive, aircraft or fibreglass industries.
Skill Level: 3
Makes and repairs tools, dies, jigs, fixtures and other precision parts and equipment to fine tolerances for machine tools and other production machinery.
Skill Level: 3
- Die Caster
- Die Sinker
- Jigmaker (Metal)
- Plastic Mould Maker
- Press-tool Maker