321 Automotive Electricians and Mechanics
Automotive Electricians and Mechanics repair and maintain automotive electrical systems and motor vehicle and other internal combustion engines. Mechanical Engineering Trades Workers are excluded from this minor group.
Mechanical Engineering Trades Workers are included in Minor Group 323 Mechanical Engineering Trades Workers.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this minor group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
- AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand:
- NZQF Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- diagnosing electrical and mechanical faults in motor vehicles and small engines
- dismantling engines and electrical systems
- repairing and replacing worn and defective parts
- installing electrical equipment and electronic components in motor vehicles
- testing and adjusting electrical and mechanical systems and parts after repair for proper performance
- performing scheduled maintenance on motor vehicles