ANZSCO - Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations
Barristers plead cases before civil, criminal and industrial courts and other tribunals.
Indicative Skill Level:
In Australia and New Zealand:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Registration or licensing is required.
- receiving written information in the form of briefs and verbal instructions concerning cases from Solicitors, other specialist Legal Professionals and clients
- providing advice and written opinions on points of law
- conferring with clients and witnesses in preparation for court proceedings
- drawing up pleadings, affidavits and other court documents
- researching statutes and previous court decisions relevant to cases
- outlining the facts to the court, calling and questioning witnesses, and making addresses to the court to argue a client's case
- providing opinion on complex legal issues
- may draw up or settle documents
- 271111 Barrister
Pleads cases before civil, criminal and industrial courts and other tribunals. Registration or licensing is required.
Skill Level: 1
- Queen's Counsel
- Senior Counsel