121 Farmers and Farm Managers
Farmers and Farm Managers plan, organise, control, coordinate and perform farming operations involving aquaculture, broadacre crops, horticultural crops, and livestock.
Indicative Skill Level:
In Australia and New Zealand:
Most occupations in this minor group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- planning and coordinating the operation of hatcheries and crop production
- breeding and raising livestock and aquatic stock
- monitoring and maintaining the health of stock
- identifying and controlling environmental toxins, weeds, pests and diseases
- organising and conducting farming operations such as maintaining buildings, water supply systems and equipment
- managing business capital, monitoring market activity and planning production to meet contract requirements and market demand