Decrease in tourism jobs in June the largest on record
The number of filled jobs in the tourism industry fell by 15.1 per cent in the year ending June 2020 - around 109,000 jobs, according to figures released today by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).
Director of ABS Tourism Statistics, Jonathon Khoo, said the experimental estimates in Tourism Satellite Account: quarterly tourism labour statistics, Australia show the ongoing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on all areas of tourism activity.
"This has been a really challenging time for people working in and around tourism, with this latest data clearly showing that tourism has been impacted more severely than the economy as a whole, where filled jobs fell by 5.1 per cent in the same period," Mr Khoo said.
"Cafes, restaurants and takeaway food services recorded the largest decrease of 34,200 jobs, followed by Accommodation which decreased by 24,000 jobs - however all areas of tourism have been impacted."
"The proportion of tourism jobs in the economy fell to 4.5 per cent in June 2020, which is the lowest on record."
Mr Khoo added: "Given the challenges that tourism continues to face, we expect future releases of this data will show further impacts of COVID-19 on tourism activity."
["","Jun-19 ('000)","Jun-20 ('000)"]
[["Accommodation","Cafes, restaurants and takeaway food services ","Clubs, pubs, taverns and bars","Rail transport","Road transport and transport equipment rental","Air, water and other transport ","Travel agency and information centre services","Cultural services","Casinos and other gambling services","Sports and recreation services","Retail trade","Education and training","All other industries"],[[90.400000000000006],,[57.700000000000003],[2.8999999999999999],[28.899999999999999],[34.299999999999997],[36.899999999999999],[11.699999999999999],[4.2999999999999998],,[116.7],[64.700000000000003],[24.199999999999999]],[[66.400000000000006],[184.80000000000001],[48.700000000000003],[2.6000000000000001],[27.100000000000001],[31.899999999999999],[30.300000000000001],[9.3000000000000007],[3.6000000000000001],[17.5],[106.2],[59.700000000000003],[23.600000000000001]]]
Further information is available in Tourism Satellite Account: quarterly tourism labour statistics, Australia, experimental estimates (cat. no. 5249.0.55.005).
- These statistics are based on data released in the Labour Account, Australia, June 2020 (cat. no. 6150.0.55.003).
- The additional ABS products being published to understand the economic impact of the coronavirus can be found on the ABS COVID-19 page.
- When reporting ABS data you must attribute the Australian Bureau of Statistics (or the ABS) as the source.
- For media requests and interviews, contact the ABS Media Team on 1300 175 070 (8.30am-5pm Mon-Fri).
- Subscribe to our media release notification service to get notified of ABS media releases or publications upon their release.