Work in one of our offices
You can work in a range of challenging and rewarding office based permanent and temporary roles to drive real change. We are mostly known for conducting the Census and Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey. However we do so much more, collecting and publishing information tens of thousands of Australian households and businesses about all aspects of life to better understand our population and future needs.
Results from our surveys are used by all levels of government, industry and community groups to make important decisions, such as how public funds are spent, and where services are needed. These decisions directly affect you, your family and the people you know.
The variety of roles we offer include collecting, analysing and disseminating data, Information and Communication Technology (ICT), finance, human resources, customer services, and the list goes on.
Our offices are located in all capital cities as well as Geelong and Dandenong.
See our ABS Enterprise Agreement and Remuneration Determination for more information regarding pay rates and conditions. The ABS Remuneration Determination 2022 supplements the ABS Enterprise Agreement 2019 by providing adjustments to salary and salary-related allowances from 14 June 2022. The ABS Enterprise Agreement 2019 continues to provide all other terms and conditions of employment.
What our staff say (2021 APS Employee Census)
ABS staff have a strong emotional connection and commitment to working at the ABS, with an overall engagement score of 77% (APS average: 72%). Our Employee Census results reflect our commitment to being an employer of choice, through our focus on purpose, people, place and partnerships as motivators for our employees.
Purpose – informing Australia’s important decisions:
- 95% "understand how my role contributes to achieving an outcome for the Australian public" (APS average: 90%).
- 92% "believe strongly in the purpose and objectives of my agency" (APS average: 83%).
- 89% "feel committed to my agency's goals" (APS average 82%).
People – we are open, diverse, passionate and dedicated:
- 93% believe "I am happy to go the 'extra mile' at work when required" (APS average: 91%).
- 90% believe "my immediate supervisor cares about my health and wellbeing" (APS average: 83%).
- 89% believe "my agency supports and actively promotes an inclusive workplace culture" (APS average: 79%).
Place – we build careers in a modern flexible workplace:
- 92% are "satisfied with their non-monetary employment conditions (e.g. leave, flexible work arrangements, other benefits)" (APS average: 77%).
- 91% believe "my workgroup can readily adapt to new priorities and tasks" (APS average 86%)
- 88% believe "my job gives me opportunities to utilise my skills” (APS average: 84%).
Partnerships – we collaborate:
- 92% believe “The people in my workgroup cooperate to get the job done” (APS average: 88%)
Find out more about what our people think of working here.
How to apply
Apply for a vacancy or register your interest for future opportunities today by visiting our Current Vacancies web page. Each vacancy notice will provide information on the role, assessment process, application dates and more.
See how we protect your personal information in our Recruitment Privacy Statement.
Phone: 1800 249 583