Work in the field
Our field staff collect information from tens of thousands of households about all aspects of life in Australia to better understand our population and future needs.
As a field interviewer you will work on a variety of population and social surveys interviewing selected households by phone and in person.
You will collect information on such things as employment and unemployment, health, housing and crime. This information is used to help all levels of government, businesses and communities make informed decisions such as planning for services in your local area and the wider community.
Our permanent field interviewer team consists of around 500 people who are located across major urban centres as well as smaller urban and rural locations. There are also occasional opportunities for temporary work.
As a successful applicant you will:
- enjoy talking to people from a range of backgrounds
- demonstrate integrity and professionalism as a representative of the ABS
- be comfortable asking people survey questions and helping them to understand the importance of participating
- be able to work independently and enjoy the flexibility that comes with managing your own workload
- have a current drivers licence and use of a vehicle.
See our ABS Interviewer Enterprise Agreement for more information regarding pay rates and conditions.
How to apply
Apply for a vacancy or register your interest for future opportunities today by visiting our Current Vacancies web page. Each vacancy notice will provide information on the role, assessment process, application dates and more.
See how we protect your personal information in our Recruitment Privacy Statement.
Phone: 1800 249 583