Note: COVID-19 government support payments, such as JobKeeper and Boosting Cash Flow for Employers, are included in Earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA) but excluded from Industry Value Added (IVA) and Sales and service income. For more information see the Treatment of COVID-19 government support payments section.
- Mining, while showing continued growth in all key data items, slowed from the previous year. EBITDA growth of 14.2% ($19.4b) slowed from 29.9% ($31.3b) in 2018-19. IVA also slowed from 24.4% ($36.3b) in 2018-19 to 11.7% ($21.6b) in 2019-20.
- Health care and social assistance reported EBITDA growth of 23.5% ($6.4b) following moderate growth of 6.1% ($1.6b) in 2018-19. IVA continued similarly to the previous year's 6.4% ($5.8b) growth and increased by 6.5% ($6.3b).
- Retail trade, following a 1.6% (-$363m) decline in EBITDA in 2018-19, grew by 27.4% ($6.3b) in 2019-20. IVA growth was relatively flat at 1.0% ($819m) slowing from a 2.4% ($1.9b) rise in 2018-19.
- Accommodation and food services EBITDA fell 2.7% (-$271m) following growth of 1% ($98m) in the previous year. IVA declined significantly by 13.1% (-$5.6b), compared to a 3.0% ($1.3b) rise in 2018-19.
- Construction EBITDA grew by 6.0% ($3.0b), similar to 2018-19 (7.1%, $3.3b) and IVA decreased by 1.9% (-$2.4b), a large fall compared to the 3.1% ($3.9b) growth in 2018-19.
- The largest contributors to the decline in Employment, down 172,000 people (-1.5%), were industries that were significantly impacted by COVID-19. Accommodation and food services reduced Employment by 66,000 people (-6.4%) and the Administrative and support services industry reduced Employment similarly by 59,000 people (-6.2%).
|ANZSIC Division||Employment at end of June||Industry value added|
|Agriculture, forestry and fishing||447||444||-0.7||29,542||27,448||-7.1|
|Electricity, gas, water and waste services||115||116||0.9||51,075||50,401||-1.3|
|Accommodation and food services||1,025||959||-6.4||43,249||37,603||-13.1|
|Transport, postal and warehousing||623||623||0.0||78,893||74,646||-5.4|
|Information media and telecommunications||168||156||-7.1||37,023||36,539||-1.3|
|Rental, hiring and real estate services||416||402||-3.4||83,808||85,245||1.7|
|Professional, scientific and technical services||1,145||1,135||-0.9||135,351||137,990||1.9|
|Administrative and support services||948||889||-6.2||68,919||69,469||0.8|
|Public administration and safety (private)||82||87||6.1||6,467||6,623||2.4|
|Education and training (private)||433||422||-2.5||31,141||31,939||2.6|
|Health care and social assistance (private)||1,320||1,374||4.1||96,696||103,007||6.5|
|Arts and recreation services||216||200||-7.4||14,909||13,215||-11.4|
For more industry information please see the Industry Analysis section.
Australian Industry estimates report on the performance of selected industries compiled from the annual Economic Activity Survey (EAS), which excludes most of the General government sector (except for Subdivision 28 Water supply, sewerage and drainage services) and entities classified to Division K Financial and insurance services. For more information about the scope and coverage of EAS please refer to the Explanatory notes in the Methodology section.