Causes of death
Causes of Death, Australia
- COVID-19 was the 38th leading cause of death (898 deaths).
- In 2020 there was a decrease in mortality in Australia.
- The five leading causes decreased, with a significant reduction in respiratory diseases.
- Rates from suicide, drug overdoses and car crashes decreased.
- Alcohol-induced death rates increased by 8.3%.
Provisional Mortality Statistics
- In 2022, 44,331 deaths occurred by 31 March and were registered by 31 May, which is 6,609 (17.5%) more than the historical average.
- In March there were 14,343 deaths, 1,254 (9.6%) above the historical average.
- The SDR in March was 41.0 per 100,000, compared to an average of 41.2 for the same month historically.
- Deaths due to COVID-19 increased to 625 in April after a decrease in March (see article).
Jan - Mar 2022