Causes of death
Causes of Death, Australia
- COVID-19 was the 38th leading cause of death (898 deaths).
- In 2020 there was a decrease in mortality in Australia.
- The five leading causes decreased, with a significant reduction in respiratory diseases.
- Rates from suicide, drug overdoses and car crashes decreased.
- Alcohol-induced death rates increased by 8.3%.
Provisional Mortality Statistics
- In 2022, there were 59,147 deaths that occurred by 30 April and were registered by 30 June, which is 8,513 (16.8%) more than the historical average.
- In April there were 14,492 deaths, 1,580 (12.2%) above the historical average.
- Deaths due to COVID-19 increased in April and May (see article).
Jan - Apr 2022