Causes of death
Provisional Mortality Statistics
- In 2021, 71,503 deaths occurred by 30 June and were registered by 31 August.
- Counts of deaths were above historical averages for each month of 2021.
- Age-standardised mortality rates were below historical averages for each month of 2021.
Jan 2020 - Jun 2021
Causes of Death, Australia
- COVID-19 was the 38th leading cause of death (898 deaths).
- In 2020 there was a decrease in mortality in Australia.
- The five leading causes decreased, with a significant reduction in respiratory diseases.
- Rates from suicide, drug overdoses and car crashes decreased.
- Alcohol-induced death rates increased by 8.3%.