Causes of death
Provisional Mortality Statistics
- 79878 doctor certified deaths occurred between 1 January 2020 and 28 July 2020.
- Deaths have been below historical averages since mid May.
- Deaths from respiratory diseases were below historical minimums throughout July.
- 682 COVID-19 deaths occurred by August 31. See article for more information.
Causes of Death, Australia
- Ischaemic heart disease was the leading cause of death, accounting for 10.8% of all deaths.
- Dementia overtook lung cancer as the 2nd leading cause of death for males.
- Intentional self-harm death rate was 12.9 per 100,000 people.
- Chronic lower respiratory disease is now the second leading cause of death of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, overtaking Diabetes.