Causes of death
Provisional Mortality Statistics
- 33,575 deaths occurred by 31 March 2021 and were registered by 31 May.
- Numbers of deaths were above historical averages for each month of 2021.
- Numbers of deaths due to cancer, dementia and diabetes were above historical averages.
Jan 2020 - Mar 2021
Causes of Death, Australia
- Ischaemic heart disease was the leading cause of death, accounting for 10.8% of all deaths.
- Dementia overtook lung cancer as the 2nd leading cause of death for males.
- Intentional self-harm death rate was 12.9 per 100,000 people.
- Chronic lower respiratory disease is now the second leading cause of death of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, overtaking Diabetes.