Causes of death
Provisional Mortality Statistics
- 11,320 deaths occurred in January 2021 and were registered by 31 March 2021.
- Numbers of deaths were above historical averages for January 2021.
- Numbers of deaths due to cancer and dementia were above historical averages in January.
Jan 2020 - Jan 2021
Causes of Death, Australia
- Ischaemic heart disease was the leading cause of death, accounting for 10.8% of all deaths.
- Dementia overtook lung cancer as the 2nd leading cause of death for males.
- Intentional self-harm death rate was 12.9 per 100,000 people.
- Chronic lower respiratory disease is now the second leading cause of death of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, overtaking Diabetes.