842 Farm Workers
842 Farm Workers
Farm Workers perform a variety of routine tasks in cultivating and harvesting crops, feeding and raising of livestock and aquatic stock to support the production of breeding stock, meat, milk, eggs, wool and crops.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this sub-major group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
- AQF Certificate II or III, or at least one year of relevant experience (ANZSCO Skill Level 4); or
- AQF Certificate I, or compulsory secondary education (ANZSCO Skill Level 5)
In New Zealand:
- NZQF Level 2 or 3 qualification, or at least one year of relevant experience (ANZSCO Skill Level 4); or
- NZQF Level 1 qualification, or compulsory secondary education (ANZSCO Skill Level 5)
In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification. In the case of some Skill Level 5 occupations, a short period of on-the-job training may be required in addition to or instead of the formal qualification, or no formal qualification or on-the-job training may be required.
- patrolling, inspecting and reporting on the condition of crops and livestock
- loading and unloading seed grain, fertilisers and livestock feed
- planting trees, seeds, seedlings, roots, bulbs, tubers, vines and other plants using hand tools and farm machines
- undertaking soil preparation, cultivation and plant and crop maintenance duties such as thinning, weeding and hoeing row crops, and pruning and thinning trees and vines
- monitoring the condition of crops and livestock and ensuring that they have adequate water and feed
- operating and maintaining general farm machinery and water supply and irrigation systems
- harvesting, sorting and packing produce into containers
- mustering and droving livestock
- maintaining and cleaning farming infrastructure and equipment such as sheds, fences and plant