631 Checkout Operators and Office Cashiers
Checkout Operators and Office Cashiers operate cash registers and receive payments from customers, and issue receipts and return change due.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this minor group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications outlined below.
- AQF Certificate I, or compulsory secondary education (ANZSCO Skill Level 5)
In New Zealand:
- NZQF Level 1 qualification, or compulsory secondary education (ANZSCO Skill Level 5)
For some occupations a short period of on-the-job training may be required in addition to or instead of the formal qualification. In some instances no formal qualification or on-the-job training may be required.
- scanning, weighing and recording prices of goods
- receiving and processing payments for goods and services by cash, cheques, gift vouchers, credit and debit cards and other payment types
- issuing sales dockets and giving change
- maintaining supplies of change, wrapping and other materials used at checkout
- counting and recording money received and balancing against register sales records, and preparing money for deposit in financial institutions
- recording and balancing petty cash disbursements
- operating a computer terminal to administer the store's financial transaction system
- cashing authorised cheques