Printers set up and operate letterpress, lithographic, flexographic, gravure, newspaper, instant, digital and offset printing presses.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
- AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand:
- NZQF Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- setting, adjusting and monitoring substrate-feed mechanisms, delivery mechanisms, inking systems and other printing machine functions
- mixing ink and solvents to standard, and regulating paper and ink supply during print runs
- monitoring, evaluating and determining press operations manually and by computer to check print quality standards against proofs and detect malfunctions
- producing a variety of printed products using relief, lithographic, flexographic and gravure printing presses, and in-line finishing systems
- preparing plates, blankets and impression cylinders on small offset lithographic printing presses
- loading paper into feeding mechanisms
- monitoring machine operations and quality of printing
- undertaking maintenance, adjustment, repair and cleaning of machines
- producing and managing digital print images, and transferring and outputting images
- may set up and operate paper and bookbinding guillotines
- 392311 Printing Machinist
- 392312 Small Offset Printer
392311 Printing Machinist
Produces books, magazines, newspapers, brochures, posters, leaflets, packaging materials and stationery using printing presses.
Skill Level: 3
- Flexographic Printing Machinist
- Gravure Printing Machinist
- Label Printing Machinist
- Letterpress Printing Machinist
- Lithographic Printing Machinist
- Reel Fed Printer
- Sheet Fed Printer
392312 Small Offset Printer
- Instant Printer Operator
Sets up and operates small offset printing presses used in instant print shops or for in-house printing.
Skill Level: 3
- Digital Printer