Chefs plan and organise the preparation and cooking of food in dining and catering establishments. Cooks, Fast Food Cooks and Kitchenhands are excluded from this unit group.
Cooks are included in Unit Group 3514 Cooks. Fast Food Cooks and Kitchenhands are included in Minor Group 851 Food Preparation Assistants.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
- AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
In New Zealand:
- NZQF Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- planning menus, estimating food and labour costs, and ordering food supplies
- monitoring quality of dishes at all stages of preparation and presentation
- discussing food preparation issues with Managers, Dietitians and kitchen and waiting staff
- demonstrating techniques and advising on cooking procedures
- preparing and cooking food
- explaining and enforcing hygiene regulations
- may select and train staff
- may freeze and preserve foods
- 351311 Chef
Plans and organises the preparation and cooking of food in a dining or catering establishment.
Skill Level: 2
- Chef de Partie
- Commis Chef
- Demi Chef
- Second Chef
- Sous Chef