331 Bricklayers, and Carpenters and Joiners
Bricklayers, and Carpenters and Joiners construct and erect buildings and other structures of brick, stone and timber.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this minor group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
- AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand:
- NZQF Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- studying plans and specifications to determine materials required, dimensions and installation procedures
- erecting frameworks, roof framing and scaffolding, and laying sub-floors and floorboards
- operating machines and hand tools to cut and shape stones, bricks and timber
- laying bricks and stone blocks in rows and securing with mortar to construct walls
- assembling prepared wood to form structures ready to install
- nailing fascia panels, sheathing roofs, and fitting wall cladding and door and window frames
- checking vertical and horizontal alignment