Australia's population grew by 1.3 per cent

Media Release

Australia's population grew by 1.3 per cent

Australia's population grew by 1.3 per cent during the year ending 30 June 2020 against a backdrop of international travel restrictions because of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to the latest figures released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). 

ABS Demography Director Phil Browning said: "The population at 30 June 2020 was 25.7 million people, following an annual increase of 321,300 people."

Natural increase accounted for 42.7 per cent of annual population growth, while net overseas migration accounted for the remaining 57.3 per cent.

There were 304,100 births and 167,000 deaths registered in Australia during the year ending 30 June 2020. Natural increase during this period was 137,100 people, a decrease of 3.2 per cent from the previous year.

There were 486,800 overseas migration arrivals and 302,600 departures during the year ending 30 June 2020, resulting in net overseas migration of 184,200 people. Net overseas migration was down 23.7 per cent compared to the previous year, driven by a decrease in overseas migration arrivals (11.6 per cent).

Statistics in this release are affected by the COVID-19 pandemic and the resulting Australian Government closure of the international border from 20 March 2020.

For regional population estimates see Regional Population, Australia, available for free download from

Annual population change by state and territory
Population at 30 June 2020 ('000)Change over previous year ('000)Change over previous year (%)
New South Wales8,
South Australia1,769.316.60.9
Western Australia2,661.938.71.5
Northern Territory246.0-0.2-0.1
Australian Capital Territory431.14.81.1

(a) Includes Other Territories comprising Jervis Bay Territory, Christmas Island, the Cocos (Keeling) Islands and Norfolk Island.

Media notes

  • When reporting ABS data you must attribute the Australian Bureau of Statistics (or the ABS) as the source.
  • For media requests and interviews, contact the ABS Media Team on 1300 175 070 (8.30am-5pm Mon-Fri).
  • Subscribe to our media release notification service to get notified of ABS media releases or publications upon their release.
Back to top of the page