Crime and justice
Corrective Services, Australia
- Persons in custody were 40,330, reaching its lowest level since December quarter 2016
- Sentenced prisoners decreased by 6% (1,534) since the December quarter 2021, down to 25,331
- Community service orders decreased by 2% (316) since the December quarter 2021, down to 12,519
There have been various government restrictions in place across the states and territories due to COVID-19 since March 2020. The restrictions may have had an impact on criminal activity and the justice system.
Criminal Courts, Australia
- 508,748 defendants were finalised in Criminal Courts, up 8% from 2019–20
- 97% of defendants adjudicated had a guilty outcome
- Traffic and vehicle regulatory offences remained the most common principal offence (35%)
- Fines were the most common principal sentence (56% of defendants with a guilty outcome)
Disability and Violence - In Focus: Crime and Justice Statistics
- 5.9% of women and 5.6% of men living with disability or a long-term health condition experienced violence in 2016
- The risk of violence was greater for adults with intellectual/psychological disability than those with physical disability
Federal Defendants, Australia
7,944 federal defendants were finalised in 2020–21, up 4% from 2019–20
Harassment and threatening behaviour remained the most common principal federal offence (49%)
The majority of defendants had a guilty outcome (66%)
Around one-third of defendants with a guilty outcome received a fine as their principal sentence (32%).
- 11% of Australians experienced personal fraud in 2020-21, up from 8.5% in 2014-15
The increase was driven by a rise in card fraud (from 5.9% to 6.9%) and scams (from 2.4% to 3.6%)
- Card fraud was the most common fraud type experienced in 2020-21 (6.9%)
Personal Safety, Australia
- Two in five Australian adults had experienced violence since age of 15.
- One in six women and one in seventeen men experienced partner violence.
- One in two women and one in four men had experienced sexual harassment.
- One in six women and one in ten men experienced abuse before age of 15.
Recorded Crime - Offenders
- there were 359,975 offenders proceeded against by police in Australia
- the offender rate was the lowest since the time series began in 2008-09
- there were 29,218 offenders proceeded against for COVID-19 related offences
- illicit drug offences decreased for the fifth consecutive year