Securely download and analyse basic microdata (unit record data) in your own environment. Find out about costs and how to access.
\(\Large ⚿\) Log into MicrodataDownload
MicrodataDownload is a convenient way to access basic microdata (unit record data):
- provides unit record information about individuals, households or businesses
- released to approved users for statistical analysis and research
- designed for statistical analysis in your own environment, for example modelling
- highly confidentialised data items usually provided in ranges or broad groupings
- securely download in your choice of file formats, with most available in SAS, SPSS, Stata and CSV
- over 100 basic microdata files available, including Census of Population and Housing, health, income, education, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, migrants, crime, disability, ageing and carers
- see Basic microdata topics for a list of files in MicrodataDownload, including summaries and data item list links
- subscribe annually
- access and download all basic microdata files to analyse in your own environment
- costs are per organisation - add unlimited members to your organisation at any time at no additional charge
|Subscription service||Price (year ending June 2022)|
|Access all basic microdata for one annual subscription price||$4,350|
How to access
Register using your organisation email address to join your organisation in the Registration Centre.
- If your organisation has already subscribed to MicrodataDownload, you will be automatically joined to your organisation for immediate access to subscribed products.
- If your organisation has not yet subscribed, your organisation's CEO (or delegate) will need to sign a Responsible Officer Undertaking. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, including your name, organisation, user ID number and the products and systems you want to subscribe to.
- When your organisation subscribes to MicrodataDownload, all registered members in your organisation can access all basic microdata files at no additional charge.
Log in to access basic microdata in MicrodataDownload using your Registration Centre ID and password. You can securely download one or all files to use in your own environment.
Alternatively, if your organisation has previously received basic microdata on CD-ROM, your Contact Officer can provide you with access once you have registered and joined your organisation in the Registration Centre. Log into Registration Centre for a list of your organisation's Contact Officers.
Obligations when using basic microdata
- Only Australian organisations may apply for MicrodataDownload. International organisations may request access to specific basic microdata files, which will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- You must register and join your organisation in the Registration Centre.
- The head of your organisation must sign a Responsible Officer Undertakings.
- Contact Officers must comply with the requirements for managing basic microdata distribution within their organisation.
- You must comply with the conditions agreed to by your Responsible Officer and understand your obligations as a microdata user, detailed in the Responsible Use of ABS Microdata Guide. This includes:
- using your own log in credentials to access microdata systems and not sharing your credentials with any other user
- securely storing microdata
- not sharing microdata with unauthorised people
- not attempting to match unit record data with any other list, database or repository of persons or organisations
- complying with the copyright terms for microdata