Price indexes and inflation
Consumer Price Index, Australia
- The Consumer Price Index (CPI) rose 1.6% this quarter.
- Over the twelve months to the September 2020 quarter the CPI rose 0.7%.
- Child care was the most significant rise (contributing 0.9 percentage points to the headline CPI quarterly movement), following the end of free child care on 13 July.
International Trade Price Indexes, Australia
- Import price index fell 3.5% this quarter and 5.7% through the year.
Export price index fell 5.1% this quarter and 9.9% through the year.
The Australian dollar appreciated against the United States dollar.
- The exchange rate had an downward effect on import and export prices this quarter.
Residential Property Price Indexes: Eight Capital Cities
Weighted average of the eight capital cities Residential Property Price Index:
- fell 1.8% this quarter.
- rose 6.2% over the last twelve months.
The total value of residential dwellings in Australia fell $98.2b to $7,138.2b this quarter.