Price indexes and inflation
Consumer Price Index, Australia
- The Consumer Price Index (CPI) rose 0.6% this quarter.
- Over the twelve months to the March 2021 quarter, the CPI rose 1.1%.
- The most significant price rise was Automotive fuel (+8.7%).
- The most significant price fall was Furniture (-3.0%).
International Trade Price Indexes, Australia
Export price index rose 11.2% this quarter and 8.6% through the year.
Import price index rose 0.2% this quarter and fell 6.2% through the year.
The Australian dollar appreciated against the United States dollar.
The exchange rate had a downward effect on export and import prices this quarter.
Residential Property Price Indexes: Eight Capital Cities
Weighted average of the eight capital cities Residential Property Price Index:
- rose 3.0% this quarter.
- rose 3.6% over the last twelve months.
The total value of residential dwellings in Australia rose $257.9b to $7,724.4b this quarter.