From March 2019 to March 2020:
- tourism filled jobs in Australia decreased by 3.0% (-21,900) compared to an increase of 1.7% (+243,900) in the whole economy
- the total number of tourism filled jobs at the end of March was 702,700
- the fall in tourism filled jobs of 3.0% was the largest fall in the time series with commenced in September 2004
|Percentage change (a)|
|Dec-18 to Mar-19||Mar-19 to Jun-19||Jun-19 to Sep-19||Sep-19 to Dec-19||Dec-19 to Mar-20||Mar-19 to Mar-20|
|Cafes, restaurants and takeaway food services||-0.4||-2.4||5.0||3.2||-7.4||-2.1|
|Clubs, pubs, taverns and bars||-0.5||6.1||-4.2||4.2||-7.6||-2.2|
|Road transport and transport equipment rental||-2.2||-6.2||4.5||-2.0||1.4||-2.6|
|Air, water and other transport||-2.8||-1.4||7.6||3.3||-6.3||2.6|
|Travel agency and information centre services||-1.7||6.6||-1.4||-3.3||-2.6||-0.9|
|Casinos and other gambling services||2.5||4.9||-2.3||0.0||-2.4||0.0|
|Sports and recreation services||-15.8||2.5||-3.8||2.5||-16.8||-15.9|
|Education and training||-1.9||5.2||-0.5||-1.1||-1.7||1.8|
|All other industries||0.0||0.8||0.4||1.2||0.4||2.9|
|Whole economy total||-0.6||0.6||0.4||1.4||-0.7||1.7|
a. Change on preceding quarter, except for the last column which shows the change between the current quarter and the corresponding quarter of the previous year.
Movement in tourism filled jobs by tourism industry, original series
Key COVID-19 dates:
- 20 March: Australia's international borders close to all non-citizens and non-residents.
- 21 March: Domestic travel restrictions begin. Tasmania first state to require people entering to self-isolate for 14 days from arrival.
- 22 March: Prime Minister announces Stage 2 lock down changes, which are progressively implemented.
- 30 March: Prime Minister announces JobKeeper program.
This new TSA publication contains experimental estimates of quarterly tourism labour statistics. The ABS welcomes comments and suggestions from users regarding this release. If you are interested in contributing, please contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.