Waiters serve food and beverages in hotels, restaurants, clubs and dining establishments.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
- AQF Certificate II or III (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
In New Zealand:
- NZQF Level 2 or 3 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
At least one year of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- setting and arranging tables
- greeting customers and presenting them with menus and beverage lists
- taking orders and relaying them to kitchen and bar staff
- serving food and beverages
- opening bottles and pouring beverages
- clearing tables and returning dishes and cutlery to kitchen
- removing empty bottles and used glasses from tables, and refilling and replacing glasses
- collecting payments for sales and operating point of sales machines and cash registers
- may recommend wines to complement food
- 431511 Waiter
- Food and Beverage Attendant
Serves food and beverages in a hotel, restaurant, club or dining establishment.
Skill Level: 4
- Drink Waiter
- Formal Service Waiter
- Silver Service Waiter
- Wine Steward