Hairdressers cut, style, colour, straighten and permanently wave hair, and treat hair and scalp conditions.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this minor group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
- AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand:
- NZQF Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- providing advice on hair care, beauty products and hairstyles
- shampooing hair and conditioning scalps
- colouring, straightening and permanently waving hair with chemical solutions
- cutting hair with scissors, clippers and razors
- styling hair into dreadlocks and braids and adding hair extensions
- shaving and trimming beards and moustaches
- cleaning work areas and sanitising instruments
- arranging appointments and collecting payments
- may clean, colour, cut and style wigs and hairpieces