3333 Roof Tilers
3333 Roof Tilers
Roof Tilers cover roofs with tiles, sheets and shingles to form a waterproof surface.
Roof Plumbers (installers of sheetmetal roofing and guttering) are excluded from this occupation. Roof Plumbers are included in Unit Group 3341 Plumbers, in Occupation 334115 Roof Plumber.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
- AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand:
- NZQF Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Registration or licensing may be required.
- studying drawings, specifications and work sites to determine materials required
- erecting ladders and scaffolds
- placing and securing waterproof sheets over eaves
- nailing and stapling roofing underlay to roofs
- aligning starter rows of roofing material with edges of roofs, securing with wire, staples and nails, and overlapping successive layers of tiles
- sizing and cutting roofing material to fit around vents, chimney edges, corners and ridges
- fixing edge and ridge tiles in cement mortar
- slipping roofing material under prefabricated flashing and nailing it down
- caulking and flashing exposed nail heads to prevent leaks
- 333311 Roof Tiler
333311 Roof Tiler
Cover roofs with tiles, sheets and shingles to form a waterproof surface. Registration or licensing may be required.
Skill Level: 3