Painters apply paint, varnish, wallpaper and other finishes to protect, maintain and decorate surfaces of buildings and structures. Painters (Visual Arts), Vehicle Painters and Industrial Spraypainters are excluded from this unit group.
Painters (Visual Arts) are included in Unit Group 2114 Visual Arts and Craft Professionals. Vehicle Painters are included in Unit Group 3243 Vehicle Painters. Industrial Spraypainters are included in Unit Group 7112 Industrial Spraypainters.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
- AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand:
- NZQF Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Registration or licensing may be required.
- erecting scaffolding and ladders, and placing drop sheets to protect adjacent areas from paint splattering
- preparing surfaces by removing old paint and wallpaper, fixing woodwork, filling holes and cracks, and smoothing and sealing surfaces
- selecting and preparing paints to required colours by mixing portions of pigment, oil, and thinning and drying additives
- applying paints, varnishes and stains to surfaces using brushes, rollers and sprays
- hanging wallpaper, matching patterns and trimming edges
- cleaning equipment and work areas
- may repair windows and replace glass in wooden and metal frames
- 332211 Painter
- Painter and Decorator
Applies paint, varnish, wallpaper and other finishes to protect, maintain and decorate surfaces of buildings and structures. Registration or licensing may be required.
Skill Level: 3
- House Painter