This product provides information about the release of microdata from the Household Expenditure Survey (HES) and Survey of Income and Housing (SIH), Australia, 2015–16.
It contains information relating to the following:
- Accessing Basic CURF, TableBuilder and DataLab;
- The survey;
- The microdata files and content;
- An explanation of how to use the files;
- The data item list;
- The conditions of use; and
- The quality of the microdata.
Microdata files are collections of the most detailed information available from a survey. They are comprised of responses to individual survey questions or data derived from two or more questions. This level of detail is released with the approval of the Australian Statistician.
The following microdata products are available from this survey:
- Basic CURF - Datasets available on MicrodataDownload
- DataLab - Approved users can access a remote desktop environment for in-depth analysis using a range of statistical software packages.
- TableBuilder - Product that produces confidentialised, customised tables. At this stage it is not expected that HES will be released in TableBuilder.
The Expanded CURF, the use of the Remote Access Data Laboratory (RADL) and distribution of CURFs via CD-ROM have been discontinued for this collection, and replaced by the Detailed unit record file available through the DataLab. Several data items and additional detail previously only available on Expanded CURFs is available on the Basic CURF.
Further information about these services, and information to assist users to access and understand microdata is available from the Microdata Entry Page.
Before you apply for access, you should read and familiarise yourself with the information contained in the Responsible Use of ABS Microdata, User Guide (cat. no. 1406.0.55.003).
Apply for Access
To apply for access to the CURF, please register and apply at How to Apply for Microdata.
To apply for access to TableBuilder, users must register via Registration page and a subscription to the survey can be obtained by emailing email@example.com.
To apply for access to the DataLab, please register at How to Apply for Microdata and contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a session.
Further information about the survey and the microdata product: