- there were 119,188 marriages in Australia, up 6,234 (5.5%) compared to 2017;
- the median age at marriage was 32.4 years for males and 30.5 years for females;
- 79.7% of males and 81.0% of females married for the first time; and
- four out of five (79.7%) marriages were performed by a civil celebrant.
Following changes to the Marriage Act 1961 on 9 December 2017, 2018 represents the first full year in which same-sex couples could legally marry.
Key statistics on same-sex marriages include:
- 6,538 marriages were of same-sex couples, representing 5.5% of all marriages;
- female same-sex marriages represented more than half (57.8%) of same-sex marriages; and
- the median age at marriage was 39.3 years for females and 44.9 years for males.
- there were 49,404 divorces granted in Australia, similar to 2017 (49,032 divorces);
- the median age at divorce was 45.9 years of age for males and 43.2 for females;
- for those divorcing, the median duration of marriage was 12.3 years; and
- 47.3% of divorces involved children.