National Ocean Account, Experimental Estimates
- In 2021 mangroves and saltmarsh combined provided coastal protection services for 280 thousand people occupying 150 thousand dwellings.
- In 2021 there were 1.1 million ha of saltmarsh.
- In 2020 there were 389 thousand ha of intertidal seagrass meadows.
Water Account, Australia
In 2020-21, a year of higher rainfall across Australia led to an increase in irrigation by the agricultural industry, driving an increase in overall water consumption.
- Total water consumption by industries and households rose by 25% to 13,874 GL (from 11,120 GL in 2019-20).
- Agricultural water use increased by 37% to 9,978 GL.
- Household water use decreased by less than half a per cent to 1,808 GL.
- Sea water used for desalination fell by 18%, following a 23% increase in major dam storages.
2020-21 financial year
National Land Account, Experimental Estimates
- Between 2011-16 land managed for resource protection (eg. reserves) increased by 12.3 million hectares.
- Between 2010-15, 63.8 million hectares of natural terrestrial vegetated: herbaceous land (eg. grassland) became natural surfaces (eg. bare earth).
- Land value increased 32.6% to $5,124 billion between 2011-16.
National Land Cover Account
- Perennial water at lowest level in 2019 (0.2% of total land).
- Natural surfaces at highest level in 2019 (43.7% of total land) followed by natural terrestrial herbaceous vegetation (40.4% of total land).
- Cultivated herbaceous vegetation peaked in 1992 (106.9 million ha) and was lowest in 2008 (33.7 million ha).
Waste Account, Australia, Experimental Estimates
- Australia generated 76 million tonnes of waste, 10% increase since 2016-17
- $17 billion spent on waste services, 18% increase since 2016-17
- Construction industry spent the most on waste services ($2 billion), 35% increase since 2016-17
- Exports remain steady since 2016-17 at 6% of total waste
2018-19 financial year